Professional Sound

Monday, September 9, 2013

Do You Want To Get Paid For All Of This?


Recently, I found a great article on Prosoundweb all about the art of getting paid for work as a sound engineer.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/do_you_want_to_get_paid_for_all_of_this/

I had a couple of bad experiences recently when it came to getting paid for the work I did on a show. This article has opened my eyes with great ideas and suggestions on how to get paid for the business of sound work and not get burned!

Up until this year, I have worked as a freelance sound engineer and never had any problems when it came to collecting my money on show day. For one show, I worked for a local sound company covering a show date and after the gig was done, the owner of the club did not pay me. This began a month long of calling the club owner and leaving messages about my money.

Nothing worked and since I didn't have any kind of contract on paper I figured that I was screwed. I contacted the owner of the local sound company and he offered to pay me my fee after the club owner would not. I was grateful to get my money however, I likely will not work again for the club owner.

Another gig I worked, there was a lack of audience in attendance. Without any money coming from ticket sales at the door, there was no money available to pay anyone involved with the show. I remember standing outside the venue after the load-out and the organizers telling me "sorry, we can't pay you any money for your work." That was an eye-opener for me!" This was the first time I did not receive the money I was promised for working the show. I thought the show was a write-off until the guy who organized the gig decided to come around and give me a little less than half of the money I was supposed to receive. At that point, I was thankful to get the smaller amount. It was better than nothing at all!

After reading the article, I realized that I SHOULD be using some sort of contract when booking shows in the future. Another thing I learned is that I SHOULD ask for a deposit for the gig. The deposit protects me against problems with the gig. Like cancellation of the show, lack of ticket sales, etc. A fellow sound tech company owner suggested that I SHOULD ask for my money up front BEFORE I start unloading and setting up gear. If the client, does not have the money before the show, then I do not work the show.

With one band, I work gigs for them on a regular basis and I have always gotten paid for those shows either on the show day or within the week. Luckily, I have worked for the band for many years now and they are always good about getting me the money.

Here is the weblink to the article:
http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/do_you_want_to_get_paid_for_all_of_this/

No comments:

Post a Comment