Professional Sound

Monday, July 7, 2014

Going Direct: The Ins and Outs of DI Boxes

Today, I found this great article on Prosoundweb.com talking about direct boxes. As a sound tech I have always had my questions about direct boxes and which types to use in live sound setups. This article is a great guide letting you know which type of DI box to use for all types of instrument hookups.

Here is the link to the article:

Over the years, I have used a number of brands of DI boxes for all kinds of audio hookups. One of my favourite brands is Radial Engineering. They are made in Canada out west and used my hundreds of audio professionals across the country.

Direct boxes come in two types: passive and active. Each type has its advantages and uses. (Note: the article has comments from seasoned audio professionals on the types of DI boxes they use.)

Here are some of the Direct Boxes that I have used over the years on stages:

BSS AR-133 Active Direct Box

 Countryman Type 85 Active Direct Box

 Radial JDI Passive Direct Box

 Whirlwind IMP 2 Passive Direct Box

 Yorkville Sound YDI-1P Passive Direct Box

This is just handful of all direct boxes available on the market. Many of them are built tough to withstand the use and abuse on the concert stages of the world. Check out the manufacturer web sites for the complete lines of direct boxes available.

No comments:

Post a Comment